Wednesday, March 29, 2023

SOL 29/31: A Gallimaufrey of Morning Activities

Okay, I just had to use gallimaufrey again. I was inspired to explore this new-to-me word earlier this month when a fellow slicer used it. You can read all about the word in this slice from Day 8.

Welcome to my ragbag/jumble/collage/mismash/hodgepodge/ jambalaya/medley of this morning's wandering thoughts.

I solve an early morning mystery. 

The cushion (that I keep propped against the house to prevent water logging from spring rains) is in my rocking chair on the deck.  

I ask husband, "Did you put the cushion in the rocking chair?" 

"No," he replies. "Maybe you just forgot you moved it to the chair. Or maybe the grand kids moved it when they were here." 

"No, I distinctly remember looking at the rocking chair yesterday. I could see it rocking from the kitchen window because of the wind and the cushion was not there." 

I am 100 percent positive that I did not put the cushion in the rocking chair.

I pause, think about it, and jokingly reply, "Maybe the raccoons wanted a softer sit." 

I continue my morning routine and then out of nowhere, I solve the mystery!

The pest guy was here yesterday late in the day. My husband commented to him that he was working late. It was the pest guy who picked up the cushion and tossed it in the rocking chair when he was treating the side of the house.

Nothing like a mystery solved to add some pizazz to an ordinary morning!

I climb the step ladder to pull down the bag of Grandma surprises. Today's the day to pack up the box for the grands in Utah. I have pumpkin chocolate chip bread in the freezer, cookies I baked yesterday, Super Mario figures for Teddy, and Little People characters for Ruthie and Lily. And of course, I have books! I'm hoping I can squeeze all that into a medium flat rate Priority box.

I consider using Amy's 5-4-3-2-1 format. When I reread her slice, I remember that I never looked up the Ada Limon poem she referenced. I look up "Instructions on Not Giving Up." It is exquisite. Stop now and go read it.

I snooze my alarm that reminds me to take my medicine several times because I'm writing a slice (medicine, schmedicine). 

I join Joanne for a stroll during the season of hidden treasures.

I pause for pics of sunshine and blue skies, watching the sun rise over this new day.

 

 The shadows falling across the kitchen floor fill me with sunshiny gladness.


I hear from the other room (CBS Mornings) that John Grisham is writing a sequel to The Firm that will be released in October. Funny how I don't really pay much attention to the news, but mention the word "book" and my ears perk up.

I share a link with fellow bibliophiles.  It's NPR's Books We Love. Click on the link and it will take you to Spine Poems: An Eclectic Collection of Found Verse for Book Lovers. Explore the tags/filters feature so you can hone in on exactly the type of books you love.

And that's all folks. . . this gallimaufrey's finished.

This is my twelfth year to write a slice of life each day during the month of March.  Thank you Two Writing Teachers for creating this challenge and providing the space and support for us year after year. And thanks to this magnificent community for sharing stories with me and encouraging my writing life.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, my goodness I read this but didn’t comment! I was thinking about so many things! The mystery! The grandma surprises! The poem!
    The medicine alarm(I do that, too… I set a 2nd one to ask myself if I actually paid attention to the first because I tend to postpone it!) Pics! Book recs! So much to love in this slice, sorry I got sidetracked before commenting!

    ReplyDelete