Friday, March 18, 2022

SOL 18/31: Grandson Delivers Spider in Hand to Arachnophobic Grandma!

Spider Stories: Chapter 4

My alarm was supposed to go off at 5:30. When I woke up at 5:45, I sprinted for the shower, knowing that I was already behind schedule. I asked my husband what time he had planned to wake up and he said 5:15. I'm not sure what happened with his alarm, but a quick check of my phone showed a 5:30 PM (?) alarm. Moral of this story: Double check that alarm setting, especially if you're not a night person. 

We were out the door at 6:30 am and headed for daughter's house. We even arrived early enough to swing by Safeway and pick up the needed Bisquick for morning pancakes. As soon as 8 month old little brother was awakened from a sound sleep for his morning feeding, we loaded three boys into the car and headed for Grandma and Grandpa's house. Usually our son-in-law brings the boys to our house, but this was a different work day for daughter since her husband is out of town.

Our morning had been busy, but uneventful. I heard Jack call from the other room that he caught a bug. He came into the kitchen. I was not prepared for the sight of a big spider crawling out from between his fingers. My first inclination was to scream, but not wanting to pass on my fear of spiders to a new generation, I suppressed the urge. I puzzled as to how to get the spider from Jack's hand, knowing there was no earthly way that I would cup my hand so he could transfer the spider to me. As the spider started to crawl up Jack's arm, I flung his arm into the air and the spider fell to the floor, where he met his demise, flattened by my shoe (an action I can execute with no compunction whatsoever) .

For chapter 1 (an explanation of my lifelong fear of spiders), and chapter 2 (where 30-something me insists my barely 20 year old niece kill the largest spider I've ever seen) and chapter 3 (where I stand guard over grandson as spider protectress), see this post from Day 2. I sincerely hope this is my last spider slice for this month's challenge!

This is my eleventh year of participating in the March Slice of Life Story Challenge. This year I'll be mining my memories for stories to share.   

2 comments:

  1. We still have several days to go. Spiders might spread the word that they make an appearance in your slices and there might be a few more who like the spotlight. Be brave and creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! I can't believe he casually walked in like that. Reminds me of when I was a little girl swimming in the ocean and I'd yell to my mom, "You should come out here! There are tons of little red jellyfish!"

    ReplyDelete