Monday, March 21, 2022

SOL 21/31: I Really Am that Scatterbrained Farm Woman

My friend, Mallory, asked if she could swing by this morning while they were on a layover from Hawaii to pick up her chocolate: 10 lbs of white and 10 lbs of milk. I've had it in my front closet since the fall when we did our yearly chocolate order. I said, "Sure. no problem." Since I knew they were stopping at a favorite donut place before swinging by my place, I asked for a donut. She knows I'm an early riser and a 6:30 am drive-by would be fine. I took the time to brush my hair just in case we took a picture. I perched on the stairs and waited excitedly for their arrival. It was a delight to see Mallory and Jared and their three girls briefly and visit for a bit on our front porch.

I finished half of the donut and then decided it was time to get on with my day. But I really wanted the other half of the donut first. I decided to use pairing, a strategy from a favorite podcaster, Monica Packer at About Progress. "Pair 'blah' tasks with a 'yay' reward." And so I decided to eat the rest of my donut once I had completed my slice for the day. I don't consider writing my slice a blah task, but it is a task that takes up too much of my day during March. 

But first, I wanted a picture of the half donut to accompany the post. I went downstairs and  realized my phone was upstairs. So up again I went and down again I came.

And then back upstairs. Before completing my slice, I decided to make my bed. But first, I had to put away the clothes that were piled on the bed. As I hung up some pants that my daughter folded for me from the guest bathroom downstairs (where I hang my wet clothes that I don't dry), I noticed that I hadn't organized my shirts from my latest laundry day by color (silly, I know, but I decided it would help me plan future purchases). So I stopped to do that. THEN I made the bed. And then I sat down to write this post. But there's that nagging basket of clothes behind me just calling to be put away. It's a task I can do in under two minutes, so I should just do it, right?

And when I return from putting away the clothes, I notice a sweater on the back of my chair that needs to be folded. 

And then my husband calls from downstairs that he's about ready to leave for work. So I go down to chat with him a bit before he leaves. 

 I unwrap the Sunday papers and push back the urge to sit down and read them. Instead, I unload the dishwasher. Then I reload it with the breakfast things.. Then I rinse the pile of plastics from last night's garbage round-up (I despise having trash day on Monday. It interferes with my day of rest.) And then I notice a plastic bib on the counter from Oliver's Saturday visit that hasn't been washed. So a quick hot rinse takes care of the sticky residue. And then I resolutely march myself upstairs to finish my post. 

If you don't know the story of the farm woman's day, well, I couldn't find it, but I'll spare you the details of the rest of my day. Just know that I stay busy all day, but have a hard time accounting for what I've done. Such is the life of an an easily distracted/scatterbrained retiree. I'm off to eat the rest of my well-earned 1/2 of a donut.

 Good thing I split it. It definitely a deserves a second glass of milk.

This is my eleventh year of participating in the March Slice of Life Story Challenge. This year I'll be mining my memories for stories to share.    

6 comments:

  1. If you give a mouse a half of a donut... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sound a lot like my days. Evening comes and I am tired but I can't really say what I have done but I know I did a lot of stuff. Glad you enjoyed that donut. I was a bit afraid some one would get to it before you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad none of the other people in your day decided to eat the rest of your donut! You sound extremely productive, even if you didn't plan to do all these chores!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ♥️I hope the donut was delicious

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ramona, this slice validated my crazy from thing to thing ritual without feeling I get things done. Top off my scattered thoughts with eye surgery and I have a hot mess here without getting big issues settled. Thank you so much for making me feel like I am not the only person like this. There are so many little things that get in the way like me leaving the computer in the middle of my comment to check on the laundry. LOL (I included one of your old spring photos that appeared in a past gallery for my slice yesterday.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boy, do I relate to allll of this!!!! Love my little shout out there:)

    ReplyDelete