Friday, March 23, 2012

Fabulous Finds for $4.35!


 SOLSC  #23 - Slice of Life is sponsored every Tuesday by Stacey and Ruth from Two Writing Teachers.  For the month of March, I've joined the challenge to post a slice of life daily.

I love shopping for books at thrift stores and used bookstores.  Actually, this is an activity that I share with my son on the rare occasions that he is in town.  He's very selective about the books he purchases (it has to be a book that he has read and loved, or one that he buys to share with a friend).  I like to think that I set him on the path to loving books.  When we lived in Houston, a high point of our spring was the Houston Library book sale.  My friend Joanie always took their wagon, and we brought our own boxes.  I still remember my exhilaration when I walked out with an entire box of children's books (in good condition) for $15.  We lived near a Half Price Books, and a favorite activity during an evening walk was to stop by the bookstore.
The picture I've included showcases my latest finds at our local thrift store.  Since I love, A Mango Shaped Space I was excited to pick up another book by Wendy Maas, Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life.  I was also happy to find Thwonk by Joan Bauer because Rules of the Road by her is one of my all time favorite reads.   Last year I discovered A Breeze in the Willows by Allen Johnson, Jr. , a small book of poems based on the book The Wind in the Willows.  It's a hardback in mint condition except for the inscription inside the front cover.  I'm always glad to give a new home to a book! 

8 comments:

  1. I like that this forum honors any kind of writing, even an advertisement for bargain books! I too,love bargain books. For the last two years I've been trying to simplify my life and have divested myself of many, many books. Thanks for the offer, but no thank you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Janet, congratulations for simplifying and getting rid of books. And for the courage to say no to the temptation to acquire more. You're a stronger woman than I am.

      Delete
  2. I have just discovered that Goodwill has books, I will be checking into it. You have found some title that I believe you will treasure. Isn't that what's important?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elsie, Goodwill is my son's favorite spot to shop for books. It's overwhelming for me because there is so much there.

      Delete
  3. Yes, books for cheap that are awesome! I check our Goodwill frequently and purchase books. When I find a great book that I have, I purchase anyway and give it as a gift to someone and they are excited!
    MH at Booksavors.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I frequent used book sales all too often and my husband has been quoted as saying he's never again moving my books from one house to another. So, I guess we won't ever be moving. :)

    ReplyDelete