Friday, March 16, 2012

Friday Night Funk

 SOLSC  #16 - Slice of Life is sponsored every Tuesday by Stacey and Ruth from Two Writing Teachers.  For the month of March, I've joined the challenge to post a slice of life daily.

It's Friday night, but somehow I can't summon any enthusiasm for today's post.  Maybe it has something to do with the late nights I've spent grading in preparation for posting 2nd trimester grades, AND the time change - always a physical challenge for me, AND last weekend's yearly book club retreat - forcing me to enter the beginning of daylight savings time already sleep deprived.   However, just the process of starting this post helped me recall two things worth celebrating!  
Today many of my students wrote their 16th slice!  I'm so proud of them.  I never anticipated that so many would join me in "going for the gold" this month.  Maybe my Friday funk is due to the fact that I haven't completed my 16th slice yet! 
I left school at 5, went to an appointment, stopped by the grocery store, and was retrieving the mail when a car whipped into the lane and stopped next to me.  It was my student with his mom and step-dad and his new baby sister.   When he recognized me at the mailbox, he insisted that his step-dad turn the car around.  I was introduced to his little sister (whom I've previously only met in photos), and her winning 2 1/2 month old smile!  I love living in the community where I teach and seeing my students outside the classroom environment.  I always tell them, "Once you've been one of my students, I will claim you forever!"
So there you have it - my Friday night funk transformed into a fabulous Friday all because I stopped to slice!

6 comments:

  1. A happy ending! It is those little nuggets...like a student wanting to interact with you outside of the school walls...that make our day. You allowed funk to turn to fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love how you claim a student your's forever! That's the best ending possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did it! Whenever I'm in a funk and don't know what to write I just try to think about what caught my interest on that day. You captured that here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I left school at 5, went to an appointment, stopped by the grocery, was retrieiving the mail"- such a string of ordinary events, I was identifying with you, commiserating with you...then the surprise, the serendipitoous event-"I was introduced to his little sister and her winning 2 1/2 month old smile." So life-like! A true slice! Made me smile, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you turned the funk into fabulous. How special that a student made dad turn around so you could meet sister. That's creating a community!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ramona, I love that they are your students forever. Reminds me of what I always tell my clients that go through my Starting & Running a Business 101 class I tell them
    that they have lifetime rights to me -- that they can always come back for help or a sounding board for new ideas they want to try in their business.

    ReplyDelete