Saturday, April 7, 2018

Celebrate This Week & NPM: Celebrating The Read Aloud Family

Join us each weekend for Celebrate This Week with Ruth Ayres.

When we pause to celebrate, we find the joy.
Discover. Play. Build. 

   A week filled with moments to celebrate and remember.

Each week I join Ruth Ayres and a few friends
to celebrate the week and to focus
on the positive things that happened in the past week.

Drum roll, please . . . 
arrival of three copies of this book which I preordered!
One for me, one for daughter, one for daughter-in-law.
It's their early Mother's Day present!
(I so wish I had ordered a dozen!)
I first "met" Sarah McKenzie through her blog and booklists. Be sure to check out the Books in Verse & Poetry Collections list in honor of National Poetry Month. (Sarah, may I make two suggestions for additions to this list? Out of the Dust and Macy McMillan and the Rainbow Goddess)  

Then I discovered the Read Aloud Revival podcast. Can I share what I JUST discovered at this link? Every single podcast has a listen to this podcast button, a transcript button, and a cheat sheet button (which includes the books and links mentioned in the podcast)! I had to go all the way back to episode 15 to find a podcast about poetry. Sarah, I definitely think it's time that you did a more recent podcast about poetry. Give me a call. I would be happy to connect you with some of my poet friends you could interview or just interview plain ole poetry loving, retired teacher, grandma to two grand boys me! 

Finally, there's Sarah's brand new book, The Read-Aloud Family!  And because I'm so in love with it, I have to do a separate review sometime soon. In the meantime, visit your local indie to pick up a copy and several more so you can share it with family members and friends. You'll be so glad you did!

Library book sale set-up and
serendipitous poetry finds!
I used to request Maples in the Mist
every year when we studied ancient China.
I'm thrilled to have my own beautifully illustrated copy
of these children's poems from the Tang Dynasty.
I love all of Jack Prelutsky's anthologies and happy
 to add Read Aloud Rhymes for the Very Young
to my bookshelf of poetry books.

Sunshine and blossoms and a handsome doorman!
Hello, Grandma!
Goodbye, Grandma!

Grandpa & Jack reading and
playing and going for walks!
Singing "The Wheels on the Bus"
Love watching these two
walking hand in hand


 Teddy at the egg hunt
Dad says he's a natural!
Saturdays are for the boys . . . and doughnuts!


National Poetry Month 2018
"Give praise with friends near and far,
flinging words to the sky!"
- Amy Ludwig VanDerwater

6 comments:

  1. I need to spend more time digging around in Sarah McKenzie's posts. I signed up to be on her mailing list, but then was trying to slim down the amount of "stuff" I was getting, so I deleted it. Your post makes me think I should put it back. I love your "Bring on the Confetti" pillow. Did you make it or buy it or ???

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always share the BEST resources and ideas! And your pics always bring a smile. A great week to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. More to love, Ramona. I think we might start a savings account just for new books to have! I do adore those pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, that Jack and Grandpa pic... and Teddy is loving the donuts for sure. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. What wonderful resources. Thank you so much for sharing. I LOVE podcasts and (of course) read aloud. Can't wait to check these out. And the pictures. The Jack and Teddy pictures are always a highlight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your voice is so excited in this celebration. Loved reading it.

    ReplyDelete