Wednesday, April 18, 2018

NPM 2018: Life Lines

National Poetry Month 2018
"Give praise with friends near and far,
flinging words to the sky!"
- Amy Ludwig VanDerwater

One of the things I love to do during Poetry Month (and even the rest of the year) is to share resources. There is so much to explore at the Academy of American Poets, but today I'm sharing Life Lines, an article I discovered earlier this month. 

Here's the introduction to the article:

"We each carry lines of poetry with us. Words that others have written float back to us and stay with us, indelibly. We clutch these “life lines” like totems, repeat them as mantras, and summon them for comfort and laughter.

We asked you to share the lines of poetry that are the most vital to you, along with notes about the precise situation that summoned them to mind."

Following this brief introduction, there are thirty responses. As you read them, you'll be sure to think about lines of poetry you carry with you.  

One of the lines that has stayed with me through the years is

"...knotted with love
the quilts sing on."

You can read more about this poem and the unusual way I discovered it at this blog post, Tears during Testing.

Leave a comment about lines of poetry that float back to you.

2 comments:

  1. I don’t know how I missed the original post back in 2012, but I love it! I loved learning more about my great grandmother & the things we have in common!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Ramona. I just got home so will go look! It sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete