Thursday, April 26, 2018

NPM 2018: It's Poem in Your Pocket Day Eve!

National Poetry Month 2018
"Give praise with friends near and far,
flinging words to the sky!"
- Amy Ludwig VanDerwater

Tomorrow is one of my favorite days of the year. When I was teaching, it was a performance day in my classroom. Everyone shared a poem from his or her pocket! 

Now that I'm retired, it's become a lunchtime event at the middle school where I used to teach. We display poetry books and our book club members pass out poems they have rolled up and tied with ribbons. I don my "apron of many pockets" and take advantage of students standing in line for lunch - the perfect captive audience for poem sharing. And "Pocket Poem" by John Grandits from Blue Lipstick will definitely be in one of my pockets (along with at least twelve other favorite poems). 


"Yes, it's a good idea to carry a poem in your pocket.
It's a little snack for your soul."

1 comment:

  1. I'll be sharing at the bookstore! Have a great time today! I love hearing all the plans!

    ReplyDelete