Tuesday, April 10, 2018

SOL & NPM 2018: Favorite Poetry Resources


Today I join my fellow bloggers in "serving up a slice" 
to the Tuesday Slice of Life (SOL) community.
Thanks to Stacey, Betsy, Beth,
Kathleen, Deb, Melanie, and Lanny
 for hosting this meeting place each Tuesday
and nurturing our writing lives.
National Poetry Month 2018
"Give praise with friends near and far,
flinging words to the sky!"
- Amy Ludwig VanDerwater

Yesterday I participated in a Twitter chat hosted by Irene Latham, Laura Purdie Salas, and Charles Waters. Even though I had put a sticky note on my upstairs calendar, it had slipped my mind. But when tweets started showing up from people I follow, I remembered and arrived late to the celebration.
I have a tough time keeping up with the speed of a Twitter chat. Since I've had some time to think since yesterday's chat, I decided to share four resources (out of the many that I love) that I wish I had mentioned yesterday. 

Q5:  What are favorite poetry resources you can share?

First, something old:
This anthology is one of my absolute favorites as you can see from the many sticky notes poking out the top of the book.

Next, something new: 
A new favorite that I thought of when Paul Hankins mentioned that   parody had led him to poetry.

Next, something borrowed:


Okay, technically it's no longer borrowed, but I did borrow this book year after year from the library and renew it over and over. When this second edition came out in 2014 (the year I retired), I bought it for myself as a retirement gift.






Finally, something blue:
This latest collection of Lee Bennett Hopkins did not draw me in immediately, since I expected something more along the lines of "I must go down to the seas again" (a poem I've loved ever since I was introduced to it in 7th grade by Mrs. Powers). The anthology features fourteen poems specially commissioned and written for this collection. It traces various voyages throughout history. And once I finally sat down to read it, I was moved by the power of these " . . . poems that honor the people who risked these voyages, poems that reflect upon the events that caused these migrations, and poems that recognize those who were unwilling travelers." The notes at the end of the book provide historical context for each poem. 

And I must stop before I add another book to each category.

Well, here I am adding a link that I just discovered at 8:33 pm when I checked my email. It's Poetry Resources from NCTE! Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. I have or have had them all, still embarrassed that I haven't read 'Traveling The Blue Road' yet, though I bought it when it came out. Watermelon Pickle is a gem, hoping it's still being used. Thanks, Ramona, a fun chat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't get to the chat, so I am glad to get in on part of it, and especially to get these great recommendations for books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, search #NYEdChat & #WonderChat on twitter and you should be able to follow the chat. I wish you could have joined us. I love your poems! You would have been a great participant with lots to share.

      Delete
  3. These are great! I am teaching a course this summer for teachers on teaching poetry K-3 and need all the resources I can get!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for post and poetry resources. I bet there are a lot of poetry twitter chats this month -- going to search Twitter for "#npm2018 + chat" and see what comes up

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been slow this week with reading blogs and following twitter. Glad to have visited you today to find the poetry resources.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah! I grew up with REFLECTIONS ON THE GIFT OF A WATERMELON PICKLE! Hug!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So nice to see you at the chat, Ramona. Yes, SO many resources! I was sad to see the archive didn't really list most of them:>( I love the ones you listed here...have the fourth one on my about-to-read shelf!

    ReplyDelete