Tuesday, April 24, 2018

SOL & NPM 2018: Book Decisions!





Today I join my fellow bloggers in "serving up a slice"
to the Tuesday Slice of Life (SOL) community.
Thanks to Stacey, Betsy, BethKathleen,
Deb, Melanie, Lanny, and Kelsey
 for hosting this meeting place each Tuesday
and nurturing our writing lives.




I have a four hour flight home today. I've been visiting my brother in Oklahoma (where I grew up). And it's decision time!
Here are the books I've chosen to put in my bag today.
(And yes, that means there are a few others in my checked bag.)

1. I Am, I Am, I Am: Seventeen Brushes with Death 
by Maggie O'Farrell is my number one read for today. I hadn't heard of this book, but when I picked it up from our library's Lucky Day Collection (2 week checkout, no renewals, 2 items per library card) and saw that it was a memoir, I knew it was a must read for me. I read most of it on the way here and only have 70 pages left. Knowing that it's in my bag makes me eager to arrive at the airport
and have some wait time.

2. Dear Fahrenheit 451: Love and Heartbreak in the Stacks:  
A Librarian's Love Letters and Breakup Notes 
to the Books in Her Life by Annie Spence is number 2 on my list. It was due yesterday, so I must finish it today so it can be returned tomorrow. This is one I'll read with my writer's notebook and sticky notes at the ready. My favorite letter so far? Dear Frog and Toad Storybook Treasury. There's so much to love in this letter that I simply have to copy pages 42 and 43 for my favorite quotes file.

National Poetry Month 2018
"Give praise with friends near and far,
flinging words to the sky!"
- Amy Ludwig VanDerwater

Don't you think it's appropriate that I have two poetry books
in my bag for National Poetry Month?

3. Voices in the Air: Poems for Listeners by Naomi Shihab Nye is one I want to finish before I attend Saturday's Arbuthnot Honor Lecture at Western Washington University when I get to hear from Naomi Shihab Nye in person. And don't you agree that the title, 
Voices in the Air, is perfect for flying?

4. Poems Are Teachers: How Studying Poetry Strengthens
Writing in All Genres by Amy Ludwig VanDerwater is the professional book that I planned to read for National Poetry Month. It's on my #mustreadin2018 list. But so far, I've failed miserably. Maybe because there's been so much poetry to read and love in the blogosphere this month. It's in my bag, so maybe I'll spend some time
with it while I'm airborne today.

I love reading time with no distractions so I'm definitely
looking forward to today's four hour flight!

8 comments:

  1. People think I am crazy, but I LOVE airports. I think it's mostly due to the extensive time that I can devote to reading. I really like the idea of using a "slice" to share about books. I can't tell you how curious you have made me about Dear Frog and Toad Storybook Treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flying is great reading time! You have some great choices for today. I mentioned OK in my slice today... Small world! Wondering where you grew up in OK?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great companions for your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would opt for the book of Nye's poems! So jealous that you will hear her speak in person this week. I've had the privilege twice, but would love to hear her in person again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Flying is so great when you travel alone with plenty of books and noise cancelling headphones! My sister gave my Dear Fahrenheit 451 for Christmas, and Amy Ludwig VanDerwater's Poems are Teachers is my PD book for the month too! Like you, I have been busy reading tons of poetry instead, so I need to get a move on with the book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your travel in the great company of books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the Nye book, still have not read it either, Ramona. And you have added to my list, too. That "Dear Fahrenheit 451. . ." sounds very good! Hope your time at the airport and going home was a good time reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just heard about the O'Farrell memoir on a podcast I listen to but forgot to write it on my TBR list. So glad to see it here and remember that I really want to read it! I have been dipping into Poems Are Teachers this month but not finding it a PD book to actually read. More to dip in and use as needed. One I really wish I owned as I think I would pull it off the shelf regularly.

    ReplyDelete