Friday, March 12, 2021

Slice of Life 12/31 and Poetry Friday: Book Spine Poetry

Inspired by Lynne's post, I collect some of my favorite poetry books in preparation for April. I stack them in order of size (largest on bottom, smallest on top). I plan to introduce each book with a short celebratory shout out. But before I can even snap that picture, I begin to play with the titles!

It's March Slice of Life 

It's Poetry Friday

It's Book Spine Poetry!

If you're not familiar with book spine poetry, here's a quick definition from Google: "Book spine poetry is considered “found” poetry; that is, a poem made up of words from other sources. You, the poet, aren’t writing the words, trying to fit a form, or looking for words that rhyme. Instead, with book spine poetry, you simply arrange books so their titles create a poem."

Sketches from a Spy Tree

When Green Becomes Tomatoes

Firefly July

Reflections on a Gift of Watermelon Pickle

What the Heart Knows


Devotions

One Today

The Proper Way to Meet a Hedgehog

Handsprings


 Dictionary for a Better World

I Am the Book

Falling Down the Page

Healing the Divide

 

Here's another way to organize my baker's dozen of favorite poetry books.

Adult titles

Devotions by Mary Oliver  

Healing the Divide: Poems of Kindness and Connection Edited by James Crews

Anthologies

Firefly July: A Year of Very Short Poems selected by Paul B. Janeczko

Reflections on a Gift of Watermelon Pickle...and Other Modern Verse edited by Stepehn Dunning, Edward Lueders, and Hugh Smith (the oldest book in the stack, copyright 1965, introduced to me by Dr. Ted Munson in the 70s at Oklahoma State University)

I Am the Book poems selected by Lee Bennett Hopkins

The Proper Way to Meet a Hedgehog and Other How-To Poems  selected by Paul B. Janeczko

Falling Down the Page: A Book of List Poems edited by Georgia Heard

Poems by One Poet

When Green Becomes Tomatoes: Poems for All Seasons by  Julie Fogliano

 Sketches from a Spy Tree poems by Tracie Vaughn Zimmer 

What the Heart Knows: Chants, Charms, and Blessings by Joyce Sidman (also the only book that comes with it's own red satin bookmark)

Handsprings poems and paintings by Douglas Florian (I love each seasonal title in this collection, but chose this one because spring is coming soon.)

An Illustrated Picture Book of Just One Poem

One Today by Richard Blanco (The Inaugural Poem for President Barack Obama)  

A Book by Two Poets

Dictionary for a Better World: Poems, Quotes, and Anecdotes from A to Z by Irene Latham and Charles Walters

 

 for this week's roundup of poetic goodness.
Thanks, Heidi, for hosting this week.

10 comments:

  1. So much fun to make :-) I especially like that last one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Book spine poetry with poetry books!! Could anything be more perfect?!?!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is always amazing how well the titles can be fit into a poem, Ramona. I love & smiled with "Reflections on a Gift of Watermelon Pickle/What the Heart Knows". I have every one except for Handsprings & Sketches from a Spy Tree, now more to look for! Thanks, Ramona!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that the proper way to meet a hedgehog falls in the devotions poem! Such great spine poems!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great fun today! I love to see spine poetry. I was recording all the Board books we have for Little Man today and I thought of you and the book titles you shared with us - thanks again. Little Blue Truck is a big hit around here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a very fine poetry collection, clearly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all of these, Ramona. Thank you for bringing to mind so many lovely poetry books and also for putting them together in new ways!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of these are so great but I especially love the last one. Dictionary for a Better World is such an amazing book and those other titles almost define that book. I haven't read the other ones so that's where I'll start!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing so many great titles as well as the prompt. I particularly like the list that begins with Devotions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a treasure just to savor the title before dipping into the rest of the poems inside

    ReplyDelete