Monday, March 15, 2021

SOL 15/31: I Went to Island Books!

Island Books is our lovely, local, independent bookstore. Since last March, I've called in my book orders. They charge them to me and the books are placed in a wooden bin outside the front door of the store. It's a good solution for our pandemic times, but this morning I ventured in for the first time in over a year (except for the time earlier this month when I made a quick stop for an essential purchase, some new reader glasses)! I've had my second vaccine and passed the two week waiting period. The store was almost deserted with only one other customer in the children's section, and I was double masked. Safe enough.

It was a delight to be in this space again! I headed straight for the children's section in the back. We're going to visit my son and his family this week. It's essential for this grandma to arrive with books in my suitcase. I read lots of book reviews and make note of recommendations from fellow bloggers. But there's nothing like the thrill of discovering a new book and reading it cover to cover. I was excited to read more than a few new-to-me picture books. I finally settled on a board book for almost one year old Ruthie and a humorous book for Teddy who turns five in June. Do you have any new favorite books for these ages? This book-buying grandma is always open to suggestions.

The other four nursery rhymes featured are Old MacDonald Had a Farm, Hickory Dickory Dock, The Itsy-Bitsy Spider, and The Wheels on the Bus. Each rhyme has one large lift-the-flap on the page opposite the rhyme. You absolutely can't go wrong with Eric Carle's brilliant illustrations.

Cole uses his training as an assistant knight to save the town from the dreaded Underwear Dragon. This book made me think of Polar Bear's Underwear. Everyone knows that any book with knights, dragons, and underwear is sure to be a hit with the preschool crowd!

4 comments:

  1. The Underwear Dragon looks hilarious! What a joyful shopping trip for these times. Sounds like a very safe outing, too. Have fun with the grands!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love going in bookstores and you made me remember how much. I realize the last one I was in was in Vermont over the summer, because I needed a particular book and things felt safer in Vermont where everyone was masked. It is great to be double vaccinated, and I'm glad you had your opportunity to be in that space you love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am shopping with my daughter tomorrow and hope to hit a bookstore! The Underwear Dragon looks like the perfect book for an almost-five-year-old!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must be on spring break. Savor every precious moment!

      Delete