Saturday, March 13, 2021

SOL 13/31: The Unchosen

I'm ashamed to admit that I own this many unread books! These are some of the titles I considered when putting together my three recommendations for our yearly book club retreat  (which did not happen for the second year in a row). In my defense, I did not buy all these books. I acquired many of them from library book sales or little free libraries. But as I was starting to return them to various shelves around my house, I decided to create a spot for the unchosen, the ones that got away, the ones I still want to read when I'm faced with the "what should I read next?" question.

The saddest addition to the shelf is the one on top, added last night after our vigorous Zoom gathering (which did not include the generous snack spread, the physical passing of books around the circle, the lively banter).  Okay, there was some lively banter, but Zoom can be so exasperating when we all decide to talk at once. I was so sure that Miss Benson's Beetle was a shoe-in for this year.  It clicked so many boxes for me: an author we've read before, a journey, a chance to learn something new, not too long and not too short, a book about the transformative power of friendship, a deft balance of hilarity and emotion, a pure joyride and a perfect escape. I fear that my moment to promote this book did not do it justice. Never fear, Miss Benson's Beetle, your spot top and center on the shelf ensures that you'll be chosen soon!

I may return to the unchosen shelf for an expanded slice before the month is done. But it's Saturday and the grand boys are coming for a day at our house! Feel free to add your own recommendations if you spy some favorites on the shelf.

13 comments:

  1. I see some of my favorites in the shelf: I taught The around House. Kids loved it. You’ll learn a lot, too. Beautiful Ruins is a fun escape. I read it last sumner. If I were still teaching I’d add The Nickel Boys to the junior curriculum. I have Olive Agdd as in and a few others on my upcoming reads shelf, too. Americanah is amazing! You can’t go wrong w/ any of these books. Loved exploring your shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve only read a couple of those- not recently, so details have faded. Miss Benson’s Beetle sounds good... I’ll be looking to see if I can get it on my Kindle. Marisa de los Santos & Jeannette Walls are authors I enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. The spot on top of the other books would ensure that book would be read soon for me too. I stopped buying books a couple years ago when we sold our house. There were SOOO many books to deal with in that move. Yet, I do have some and I love the idea of a shelf specifically for the "to-be-read" pile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to have to save this picture to keep some of these in mind when I ask myself that same question! I'm a book hoarder myself so I love that you have such a big selection of unread books ready and waiting to be loved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I added Ms. Benson to my list after reading about it on your blog last week. Hoping I can convince my book club to read it. I would love to know what books your book club DID choose!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really need a book club "just for fun". I have plenty of professional learning on the go, and plenty of non-fiction reading for other purposes. I need a book club whose only purpose is to have fun and enjoy good books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, too, have a lot of unread books I've purchased. I, too, have put them together in a corner of my bookshelf. Too often, someone recommends a book or a new book is more compelling at the moment, and those unread books just never get read. I also gather together in one group all the books I've read over the past year or so, but only ones that I've loved. I like having those to look at as a reminder of my reading history. A lot of the books in your picture are books I would like to read. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have so many books strewn around my house, in my car, in my office, everywhere. I have TBR lists on Libby and Good Reads and don't even look at my Amazon account. I'm with you. I wish I could take a year off of work to read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have so many books strewn around my house, in my car, in my office, everywhere. I have TBR lists on Libby and Good Reads and don't even look at my Amazon account. I'm with you. I wish I could take a year off of work to read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ramona, we had a floor to ceiling bookcase built in our new study. It will hold the many books I packed. There are books from the turn of the 20th Century, children's books, poetry books, and beloved fiction. I also have not read every one of them but intend to do so in the years to come. Enjoy your grandsons.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So I have a tendency to move books out of my house once they're read--to my mom's or to my classroom or to a friend or to the donation box at the library. So my many shelves are MOSTLY unread books!! I have a serious book buying compulsion! Let's just say that I've had no problem finding something to read with libraries closed this past year. Or supplying books to anyone else who's looking for something to read!

    ReplyDelete