Tuesday, March 12, 2024

SOL 12/31: Have-To Stops in My Old Stomping Grounds

I asked my friend to pull into my old home's driveway, so I could see the house we lived in for twenty-five years before moving away the summer of 2022.  The driveway was filled with two large panel trucks, so we had to back out, past the rock wall that my friend scraped her new car on in the fall of 2020!

We drove past other homes that are no longer inhabited by friends we once knew who have also moved away.

We drove past the school where I taught for nine years. Still planning to pop by and say hello to a few friends who are still there from when I retired nine years ago.

We stopped by (or called) three friends' houses to drop off some of my pumpkin chocolate chip bread. No one was home or answered our calls. The bread's in the freezer. I'll take it to the book club retreat this weekend. The friend I'm staying with used to love this bread, but she's now gluten free.

I asked for a drive down Island Crest Way to see the daffodils.

We drove by the local library, but didn't stop in.  

I picked up bagels at my favorite bagel shop.

I did two loops around Mercerdale Park with another friend. It was very windy!

The best stop today was in a shop I frequented for 25 years. The current owner had students in our school system back in the day. While there were several employees on the premises, I was desirous of the services of one specific person. The checkout counter had chocolates crafted by the mom of a former student. Can you guess where I was? Au Courant for a haircut from my favorite hairdresser.  

We stopped by Home Goods where we perused almost every aisle, but bought nothing.

We made a stop at Trader Joe's.

We went to Bellevue Square and did a bit of shopping. I purchased several tops with the encouragement of a certain friend.

We visited Din Tai Fong for an early dinner. Since I was with my gluten free friend, I had to eat all ten of the beautifully crafted Xia Long Bao. They are rather small.

And now my friend is waiting for me to finish this post so we can play games. Last night she walloped me in a game of Five Crowns. Tonight, we're playing Rummikub. Cross your fingers I'm the lucky one tonight!

This is my thirteenth year to participate in the March Slice of Life. Thank you Two Writing Teachers for creating this challenge and providing the space and support for us year after year. And thanks to this magnificent community for sharing stories with me and encouraging my writing life.

2 comments:

  1. Your post sounds reminiscent, sad, and hopeful all at the same time. It's a reminder that change happens, whether we like it or not, so it's good to keep moving forward with new plans, adventures, people to befriend. You had a really busy day visiting your old stomping grounds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, a trip back to the old stomping grounds brings back so many memories. Ramona, I enjoyed traveling with you today.

    ReplyDelete