Thursday, March 28, 2024

SOL 28/31: I Miss Having a Firm Deadline!

As a retired educator, I miss the firm deadlines I used to have for pounding out my slice. One time that I enjoyed was writing in the morning before leaving for school. I sometimes found that finishing my slice made for a later arrival at school with less time to prep for the day. 

I wrote with my students during our Slice of Life writing time in class. I wrote in my notebook and then just had to retype it onto Blogspot (often with a few revisions) after school and hit post before heading home.

On particularly busy days, I would find myself at 8;30 pm (11:30 pm East Coast time), frantically racing the clock to finish a post in time. While it gave me a sudden surge of adrenaline, I was also filled with fear that I might not make the deadline. 

Fast forward a few years to  my early retirement: My absolute favorite time to comment and write is when I find myself wide awake in the middle of the night. That works well when I don't have early morning commitments and can sleep in. But more often than not, I do have something scheduled early in the day. And I try to be finished with my slice before evening rolls around. 

For a few days, I managed to write at night for the next day. Perfect way to avoid the stress of "What will I write thinking?" lodging in the back of my mind all day. 

This morniny I went to the library and then over to my daughter's home to read with the boys and play until their lunchtime. Since arriving home two hours ago, I've whiled away the time making a quick lunch, listening to the news, commenting, and trying to write a slice. 

I think Parkinson's Law is definitely at work here. This article from Work Life defines the term for us: "Parkinson’s Law is the old adage that work expands to fill the time allotted for its completion. The term was first coined by Cyril Northcote Parkinson in a humorous essay he wrote for “The Economist” in 1955." Read his original article here. I find it amusing that this term was coined the year I was born.

Just a few minutes ago, I looked at the clock and decided I would definitely finish this post by 2:30. That deadline is almost here. I posted this at 2:28 and just finished revisions at 2:36. And so, I rest my case. I am a writer who needs a firm deadline.

1 comment:

  1. I think many of us work best with firm deadlines, Ramona - i.e., under pressure. When working, especially, finding a way to pace is key - as in the examples you gave. First thing in the morning is my favorite time to write as well, although you're right, it's a challenge on school days when there's prep to be done. It's hard to me to stop the writing to leave home! I will say that I'm grateful to have been on spring break this week, so I could take my time. I've learned to write a post and schedule it to go live at at midnight so I can get it on TWT in the morning and then use that time to comment vs. write, because therein lies the real challenge, keeping up with it all. I have never heard of Parkinson's Law before but I believe it! Are you saying it is dedicated to you, lol?? Here's the thing: as a community of Slicers it is not so much HOW we get there but that we DO, whether we be planners or pantsers! Because, in the end, we need each other and we learn from each other. Most of all, we support each other, and you excel that that, my friend. Thank you for the truths you tell here - and the touch of humor - for they remind us to keep pressing on.

    ReplyDelete