Monday, March 18, 2024

SOL 18/31: Celebrating

I slept fitfully as one does when one knows the alarm will go off at 2:50 am and your ride will arrive at 3:50 am for a 6 am flight. About an hour before my alarm was set to go off, my phone was making those clicking noises indicating arriving text messages. I wondered which friend was texting in the middle of the night! I was surprised to see that American Airlines was the culprit and not a sleep-deprived friend. They were notifying me of a delay in my flight that would make it impossible for me to make my scheduled connection. My husband phoned and we scheduled a later connection. I texted and called my driver, and waited for him to respond.  Once he got back to me, I settled in for a few more hours sleep before our planned departure at 11 am.

But things were not to go as planned once again. My flight was delayed again until later in the afternoon resulting in . . . you guessed it! Another missed connection with an overnight stay before I could get home. After some back and forth with husband and daughter (I was supposed to watch the grand boys tomorrow), we decided I should just wait and leave tomorrow. Daughter scrambled to arrange child care and I showered while son sorted out a lingering confirmation that should have been cancelled. Some people say it takes a village, but for us, it takes the whole family and a friend willing to let you extend your stay for ONE MORE DAY!

Given all the changes that had to be made, you may wonder why I titled this post Celebrating!

In Spite of the Bad, I Will Count the Good

1. I was not at the airport when I learned of the delay.

2. Family members helped me with the needed changes.

3. My daughter was able to find child care for tomorrow.

4. It is another beautiful, sunny day in Seattle.

5. My friend and I packed a lunch and headed to the park.

6. I am taking my accommodating friend out to dinner this evening.

7. I will get a full night's sleep before tomorrow's mid-morning flight.

5 comments:

  1. I love how you found the positive even when frustrated in events you had no control over. Everything works out, eventually. And you got to have a wonderful dinner with a friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely a sweet batch of lemonade with those lemons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! you chronicled this crazy ordeal so well. Love your opening line. Glad you could look at the bright side of things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phew!!!!! The world we live in is a bit crazy! One needs to take a deep breath, be willing to make a left when a right was expected and just go with the flow! Easier said than done!!! Well done with positives that surly helped those lemons become lemonade! Best of luck tomorrow . Safe travels… hold tight grands… grandma is on her way and can’t wait to get her arms around you once again๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ’“

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ramona, trust you to find the positive in such trying situations...yes, the delays are a celebration, a gift even, to extend a stay with a friend and to have a family that can adapt! The photo is great - I can almost feel the sunshine emanating from it. Love how you were wondering about the culprit of those late-night texts. I am wishing you good sleep and safe travels!

    ReplyDelete