Sunday, March 3, 2024

SOL 3/31/2024: Saturday Wisdom from a Seven-Year-Old!

In spite of a long line and extremely breezy conditions, Blake pulled up to a favorite spot for kolaches and began standing in line, a line that wound out the door and halfway across the parking lot. I stayed in the van with three of my grands: Teddy, Ruthie, and Lily. They had just picked me up from my hotel and Roots Tech 2024.

I got out of the van at one point to chat with the grands so I could see their faces, but both the girls have coughs and the wind swirling around us didn't seem to be good for them. So back I crawled into the front seat. We predicted how long it would take for their dad to get into the restaurant. Finally, he disappeared from Teddy's sight. Then we predicted how long it would take him to reach the counter, place the order, and return to the van.

We talked about Ruthie's preschool, Teddy's favorite subjects in first grade, and I was introduced to each grand's favorite stuffie. I decided to tell them about the "Three L's of Kindness" (Listen, Lift and Love) shared by an emcee from one of the general sessions at the conference. 

As we discussed each "L", I asked Teddy what was meant by lift. 

"Are we supposed to actually lift people, as in picking them up?"

Without hesitation, seven year old Teddy replied, "No, Grandma, you lift someone by lifting their spirits." Then we talked about scenarios when we could lift a friend.

Perhaps our world needs more wisdom from the mind and hearts of seven year olds!

(By the way, the kolaches were yummy and worth the wait!)

I am thrilled to be joining my slicing friends even though I missed the first two days.

4 comments:

  1. I could picture you all snuggled up in the van with those sweet kids and their infinite wisdom. I totally agree--we really should listen to the wise words of children a lot more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun to hear your story and nice to see you here this year. I looked for you the first two day and decided you were not slicing this year. So I am happy to see you here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such wisdom from your grandson! I'm glad the kolaches were delicious (I had to look them up since I didn't know what they were--yum!). And so very happy to have you slicing! We've all been looking for you, it's clear from these comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Lift someone by lifting their spirits." Yes! I love that. Glad you're slicing again this month, Ramona!

    ReplyDelete