Sunday, March 24, 2024

SOL 24/31: Who You Gonna Call?

When I have tech issues, it's best not to ask my husband or my children for help. Back in the day when I had apple support (when I purchased a new computer), my children blessed the young people who sat patiently with me at the apple store to teach me the skills I needed. It was such a strain on our relationships that I preferred turning to someone outside of the family for needed technical support.

But for years, my go-to tech person has been a young man who is like a member of our family. We met him in Seattle, touched base with him a few times when he was in college, and kind of adopted him when he took a job in the Seattle area. Our nest was empty and it was fun to have someone around to keep us young, play games, watch movies, and spend holidays with us. And gigantic plus for me, he's a tech guru!

So even though we've moved from Seattle to North Carolina, Ryan is still my go-to tech genius. I share my screen and he walks me through whatever technological problem is making my life miserable. I looked at adding the jet pack app to help with my "disappearing comment problem", but it sounded too complicated for me to do on my own. So I sent Stacey's video to Ryan and we got together today. We're trying something different, using the WordPress Reader. I was successful leaving comments on a couple of WordPress blogs this way, so now I'll try it out with Two Writing Teachers daily call for slices and see if it also works for them. 

I use the WordPress Reader to leave comments instead of doing it directly on the blog entry. Once I subscribe to a blog, it's on the Reader (and yes, you can change your settings so you don't get emails notices every time someone posts). When you go to WordPress.com, you can find the Reader by clicking on the glasses in the bottom left corner next to your profile picture.

If it works, then I won't have to email Betsy and ask her to fish my comment out of Spam. Fingers crossed that this works. (I'm sure Ryan hopes it works too.) If not, it's back to the drawing board and another call to Ryan.  

I also wanted to send a thank you to Leigh Anne. She taught me to set up my posts for the month and I hadn't done that this year. Until last night . . . when I quickly set up my posts for the rest of the month. It's a quick task that makes posting so much easier. I'm so grateful for this community and all that I learn from each of you, especially since I'm a pantser (fly by the seat of my pants slicer). I love March Slice of Life, but also struggle with writing daily. Thanks to everyone who stops by and leaves encouraging comments. 

And now it's off to the rocker on the deck for some much needed Vitamin D and time to read. Happy Sunday!

1 comment:

  1. Ramona, life is a learning experience, and never more so than with tech, right?? So glad to know you found resolution with your commenting issue. I know you must have been utterly frustrated. Thank heaven for the Ryans of the world! I had an issue just before this challenge began. After all these years of blogging, I suddenly couldn't get to my posts. The screen went white. Nothing I could do would fix it. All this time I've had an icon on my laptop which was a browser-based access to the site - I ended up having to install the WordPress app, and now I am back in business. So - I feel your pain! And I am so glad you are here. This community is so very supportive, in so many ways. I will be out in my rocker on the deck this week, too, savoring my spring break! Here's to Vitamin D!

    ReplyDelete