Monday, March 25, 2024

SOL 25/31: A New Book Club for Me

Today's prompt came from Tammy's Sunday Coffee Share. I loved our Sunday chat over coffee (hot chocolate for me). If you're in search of an idea for writing, Tammy provides prompts at the end of each new tidbit of sharing. I chose this one.

Write about a community you are glad to be part of.

Book Chat is my new favorite book club. I was invited to join by my daughter's neighbor, Donna, via text. We hadn't yet met in person when she picked me up for my first meeting. Here's an explanation of Book Chat from our organizer, Maureen, to a recent new member:

"No book reading required! We just talk about books, ones we have heard about, ones becoming shows or movies, ones we want to read and then we share books if we happened to have read some since last we met."

Book Chat is a delightful group of women of a certain age (most of us are retired). I was delighted to learn that several members are also retired teachers like me. We meet at a local coffee shop so no one has to worry about hosting, cleaning, or providing dessert. We don't have a set date, but each meeting is set up via group text, usually with an option or two and we choose the time that fits most of the group. (Who knew a group of retired women could be so busy?) It's a very open and welcoming group. Each time I've attended, a new person has been invited to join. Since I moved to this area in July, this group is a wonderful group to poll regarding doctors, repairmen, alterations, shopping venues, places to visit, etc. When I can't attend, I send a pic of the books I would have shared. There is frequent sharing of physical books between group members. They tolerate my love of middle grade books.  I am fortunate to have found such a welcoming group of book-loving friends in my new community.

7 comments:

  1. Ramona, those book chat groups are amazing ways to connect, aren’t
    they? I love Zoom for that reason - it does bring us together across the nation and world. Barb Edler led our book club last night on Nigeria Jones, and more than the book, I loved all the insights shared. Thanks for a fabulous post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like so much more that a book club! Instead you have found a support group, a kinship group and a group to fill your real or virtual bookshelves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea so much! A book chat instead of a book club! I could so get behind that. What a treat to catch up on other people's reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like the perfect book club. No wonder you enjoy it so much. I'm very envious of being part of such a group.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a cool idea! I love this. Getting together with "women of a certain age" to chat about books sounds fabulous, and a great way to find out about local stuff. I love the openness around it and that you meet at a local coffee shop. Priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A book chat group sounds like a lot of fun. Glad they found you because it is such a great way to get to know your new community.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like such a wonderful group to be part of! Thanks for sharing about it. I think you've given all of us #goals now. :-)

    ReplyDelete